Long story short, I fried my iPhone — there was a small incident involving a nice Seattle day, an open sunroof and a freak rainstorm.
Here are the 5 things I learned about myself when I tried to tough it out for a week with a half-working iPhone.
Yes, there is evil in the world. Yes, there is death — unfair, untimely death. There is apathy, there is greed, there is awfulness. But, there is also goodness in this world. Real goodness.
Yesterday, someone tried to steal that from us.
Well, fuck that. I refuse. There is goodness, I know this. There is kindness, I know this too. There is courage, genuineness, raw messy inner human beauty — all of this I know.
I know this because, over the past five years of building Vittana, I’ve had the genuine honor (pleasure!) of getting to know some of the most amazing people in the world.
Thanks to you, Vittana grew 4X, expanded in Africa, reached 8,000 students in 12 countries & had our first $1 million month!
Even this past week has been incredible!
- We fully deployed our $500,0000 Vittana/MCE Education Opportunity Fund in the Philippines, helping more than 1,340 youth escape poverty.
- We announced Vinod Khosla and Rich Barton, two of technology’s biggest names, joined as lead donors on Vittana’s League of Extraordinary Tech Superheroes”.
- My blog post, “Why I Walked Away from $1 Million”, became a viral hit: 1,000+ likes & tweets, Huffington Post, Nick Kristof, Vinod Khosla, Tim O’Reilly & others.
- To cap it all off, last Thursday we celebrated with Seattle (nearly 1,000 people!) at the GeekWire Gala, raising $32,000+ to fight youth poverty!
- And just yesterday, Google’s employees raised
$102,541 $120,000+ (one day!) for Vittana’s fight against youth poverty!
Grasshopper: “What’s the secret?”
Master: “The secret is that there is no secret — you just have to work harder than everyone else.”
It’s actually very simple. If you work 10% harder every day, how far ahead are you at the end of the year? Hint: It’s not 10%.
1,283,305,580,313,390 vs. 1 — The 10% Rule